By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
What is bilingual health advocacy?
Bilingual advocacy/interpretation service:
- is for patients who do not speak English
- provides advice, information and support to help people access and use health services
- educates health services about cultural norms so they can provide care and treatment in a culturally sensitive way.
Who is the service for?
People who do not speak English and need support when they have a health appointment.
Bilingual health advocates or interpreters are provided where possible.
Telephone interpreting is available in the hospital and at GP practices to help with communication with health care professionals.
What is the difference between advocates and interpreters?
- an interpreter will interpret for the patient and the health professional to ensure that they can both understand and communicate with each other using a common language
- an advocate will also interpret, but in addition will support patients ensuring they have the knowledge, understanding and confidence needed to make informed decisions and to get the care and services they need. They will also refer them to other organisations that can assist them.
There is an open referral system which means patients, carers and health workers can refer to the service.
Please make referrals using the contact details for the service.
Will I have to pay for this service?
Individuals do not have to pay for the service. However, the hospital pays for bilingual health advocates' and interpreters time, so cancellations must be notified at least 48 hours in advance.
What if you can't help me?
If the service can't provide the help you need, they can advise about other services that can help.
However please note; this is a health service and can not provide benefits, housing, environmental health, social services or immigration advice.
Hospital Advocacy Service
46/48 Clifden Road,
London E9 6SR
Phone: 020 8510 7179
Community Advocacy Service
Phone: 020 76834024
Community Lead/Deputy Service Manager
Phone: 020 7683 4163
Phone: 020 8510 7709
Record Last Updated on: 15/08/2019