Corona virus service update
The Short Breaks Thursday morning and afternoon drop in service at Hackney Education is closed due to the current restrictions. The Short Breaks team are still available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm to process evidence or documentation for those applying to the service and to answer queries.
Phone 020 8356 6796
Short Breaks offer - COVID 19 update
- We have raised the 1st payments of £250 to cover April - June
- 2nd and remaining payments will be raised in July
The COVID flexibility offer has now ended as restriction ease and more providers are offering face to face options.
If you have a technical query about your prepaid card, please contact PFS customer services on 020 3633 1325
What is a Short Break?
Short Breaks are how local authorities perform their duty in the Children's Act 1989 to "provide, as part of the range of services they provide for families, breaks from caring for carers of disabled children to support them to continue to care for their children at home and to allow them to do so more effectively."
A Short Break allows a disabled young person to have an enjoyable break away from their main carer and gives their carer a break from their caring responsibilities.
What is the funded offer from the service for this year?
Hackney's 2021-2022 Short Break's offer:
- 110 hours full allocation for those who do not get a social care package to use with a choosen provider
- 55 hours for those who get a social care package to use with a choosen provider
- Individual Budget (IB) of £880 on a prepaid card to choose and pay for services of your choice.
Short breaks allocation can be used flexibly during term time and school holidays at one of our providers or on appropriate services of your choice using an Individual Budget.
If you are already in receipt of a social care package, please enquire with the Short Break's team.
Note: The number of hours offered may go up or down depending on levels of funding available, levels of demand and the capacity of the services.
- Find further information about Hackney's Short Breaks service here or alternatively
- Find more information about the service and the providers they work with on the Hackney Short Breaks website.
Is there someone from the service who can help me with my application?
Yes but during COVID this must be done by phone or remotely.
To help parents with queries and applications Hackney's Short Breaks service run a drop in option. Someone from the service will come and see you in the reception area of the building and accept paperwork and advise about next steps.
- Thursday mornings 9:30 am - 12 pm
- Thursday afternoon 2 pm - 4:30 pm
Note: The drop in service is not avaliable during lunchtime 12pm - 2 pm
Record Last Updated on: 04/08/2021