By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Who we are:
The Garden School is an Ofsted Outstanding Special School in Hackney taking children aged 2-16 years old.
All pupils at the school have a diagnosis of autism (ASD)
Admission into the Garden school
The Garden school is suitable for robust and mobile children and young people with a diagnosis of Autism who have severe learning difficulties.
These pupils are able to benefit from the highly specialist nature of the provision which includes:
- A bespoke curriculum which addresses the core challenges of students who have Autism ie difficulty with social communication, flexible thinking and understanding and regulating emotions.
- Specialist pedagogical and assessment strategies which address the learning and communication needs of this group of students eg TEACCH, PECS, SCERTS, Attention Autism and Intensive Interaction.
- A tailored learning environment which includes highly structured and low arousal classroom spaces and a total communication approach.
The attainment of both primary pupils and those on entry to secondary is in most cases assessed as being between P4 and P8 on the P scales.
Admission to the school is through the statutory assessment process whereby The Garden School is named on a Child’s Education. Health and Care plan.
The school is unlikely to be suitable for students:
- who have a meaningful use of spoken language
- who have profound learning difficulties and require a more sensory based curriculum and teaching approaches to support their learning and communication needs
- who require a language rich setting in which there are many opportunities for social interaction with peers
- who have other special educational needs for example; physical disability, medical needs, or sensory impairment
Record Last Updated on: 20/02/2019