Skip to main content

Independent schools approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act


What are section 41 approved settings? 

Sometimes parents may feel that an Independent School is best placed to meet the needs of their child or young person.

Where appropriate an independent school could been named in section i of the child or young person's Education Health and Care Plan. 

Independent schools (also known as ‘ private schools’ or "fee paying schools") charge for pupils to attend instead of being funded by the government.

Pupils who go to an independent or private school don’t have to follow the national curriculum.

All private schools must be registered with the government and are inspected regularly.

Reports on the inspections of independent and private schools are published online by the organisation responsible for inspecting them.

Who inspects independent and private schools? 

Half of all independent schools are inspected by Ofsted.

The Independent Schools Inspectorate inspects schools that are members of the Independent Schools Council.

Some other schools are inspected by the School Inspection Service.

Schools and colleges for pupils with special educational needs approved under section 41 of the Children's and Families Act:

The Department for Education has a list of registered Independent Schools and colleges for pupils with special educational needs approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act.

You access the latest list of these schools in the external links section of this page. 

Record Last Updated on: 06/08/2020

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top