Skip to main content

Children's Social Care in Hackney

Hackney Service Centre,
1 Hillman Street,
E8 1DY
Telephone: 0208 356 5500


Who are these services for? 

Children's Social Care and support in Hackney is provided for children and young people aged 0 - 18 and older who have:

  • physical and sensory disabilities
  • learning difficulties
  • mental health problems
  • or those who are no longer able to manage without help

Children's Social Care is made up of different teams.

Each team provides information, services and support for a different group of people.

This helps them focus on understanding the needs of each specific group. 

Not everyone who has a special educational need or a disability will need or get support from Children's Social Care services.

Early Help - Hackney MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub)

Hackney’s MASH acts as a single point of contact for professionals and members of the public seeking additional support or a safeguarding response to children and young people in need or at risk. 

Professionals from Children’s Social Care, Health, Probation, the Police and others work together as a Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub to assess referrals and ensure children and young people in need of early help are put in touch with Young Hackney and other relevant services.

Where a MASH assessment identifies support needs that cannot be met by a single agency or service there will be a co-ordinated response, with local agencies working together to support the young person and their family.

In Hackney, this is managed via a multi-agency Children and Young People’s Partnership Panel.

Weekly meetings take place to designate and monitor and co-ordinated packages of support for children and young people aged 6 – 19.

Many secondary schools in Hackney have an allocated Young Hackney team who work with them to identify students who may require additional support. 

All referrals for assessments for support from Children's Social Care in go through Hackney MASH

City of London & Hackney Safeguarding Children Partnership

The City & Hackney Safeguarding Children Partnership is the key statutory body overseeing arrangements for safeguarding children and young people across the City of London and the London Borough of Hackney.

Hackney's Disabled Children's Service

Social care support for families with disabled children. Hackney's Disabled Children's Service undertakes a Child and Family Needs Assessment to see what the family needs. The outcome of this assessment could lead to a support package in the form of Direct Payments, or through an approved care agency.

Hackney's Short Breaks Service

Short Breaks are how local authorities perform their duty in the Children's Act 1989 to "provide, as part of the range of services they provide for families, breaks from caring for carers of disabled children to support them to continue to care for their children at home and to allow them to do so more effectively"

A Short Break allows a disabled young person to have an enjoyable break away from their main carer and gives their carer a break from their caring responsibilities.

Hackney's Youth Justice Service

Hackney's Youth Justice Service works with children and young people from Hackney who have admitted to a crime or been found guilty by a court of committing a crime. 

We work hard to ensure all the activities the young people take part in are meaningful and actually help a child to reduce their offending behaviour.

Children and Families Clinical Service

The Children and Families Clinical Service works with children and young people and their parents and carers who are receiving support from Children's Social Care, Young Hackney, the Family Support Service and the Youth Offending Team.

Emergency Duty Social Worker - out of hours service

For emergencies out of hours (5pm – 9am), please contact the Emergency Duty Social Worker for children aged 0 - 18

Phone 0208 356 2710

Record Last Updated on: 03/09/2021

Time / Date Details

Session Information

9:00 am - 5:00pm / emergency out of hours services are available

Other Details


All advice sign posting and assessments are not services that are charged for. However if a client has been assessed as being eligable for council funded support community charges may apply

Referral required?


What to do if you have a complaint

MASH can be contacted to try to resolve any concerns about having used their service.

If this does not help Hackney's social care complaints department can be contacted on 020 8356 5800

If you have a situation that you are still not happy about then you can raise a formal complaint. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at what has happened and what might need to be done to help. 

Information about Hackney complaints procedure is available here.

Can parents & young people buy this service as part of their SEND personal budget?


SEND Personal Budget - Notes

Individual Budgets or Direct Payments could be used by families to pay for some services related to Children's Social Care. Please contact the relevant teams to find out more.

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top