By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
March 2020 - Corona Virus Update
Due to Public Health and Government advice Homerton NHS teams will not be working with children/young people face to face unless the need is clinically urgent however Speech and Language Therapists continue to work off-site.
If you have concerns about a child’s speech and language development then you can complete a referral form and a therapist will make contact with you over the phone.
The referral form is available in the download section of this page.
Services are still be able to access link therapists by phone or email to discuss specific children.
The Oak National Academy is a Department for Education sponsored online portal of lessons for students, families and schools to access during Covid 19.
Over the last few weeks they have started a specialist SEND offer through a national team of teachers, Occupational Therapists and Speech and Language Therapists.
Hackney’s Speech and Language Therapy Service is part of this team and are supporting Oak National Academy to create online sessions for parents and students with additional needs.
Each week there are different topics and specialist teacher lessons and therapy sessions released. There are some great resources available for families and schools to utilise.
So far from Speech and Language Therapy there are sessions on:
- how to write social stories
- staying healthy
- comic strip conversations
- using AAC for commenting and choice making
Find the resources: The National Academy online classroom – specialist therapies
Who we are...
We are a team of highly trained speech and language therapists but it is the small and consistent changes that you make at home and in your school or nursery setting that will help your child.
If your child is having difficulties talking, communicating, drinking or swallowing, speech and language therapy may be able to help.
We are split into three teams across Hackney.
Room 31 - D Block, St Leonard's Hospital, Nuttall Street, Hackney, N1 5LZ
South Team enquiries: 020 7683 4587 (and for all referrals)
Hackney Learning Trust, 1 Reading Lane, Hackney, E8 1GQ
Central Team enquiries: 0208 820 7619 (and all EHCP requests)
John Scott Health Centre, Green Lanes, Hackney, N4 2NU
North Team enquires: 0207 683 4751 (and service wide feedback)
What we do...
Children who need some support:
- Speech and Language Therapists work with Early Years settings, nurseries, academies, schools and colleges to support speech, language and communication for children and young people with identified needs.
Children who need specific support:
- Speech and Language Therapists from the service start by assessing a child and young person. This usually consists of an interview with the parent or carer, followed by observation and direct work with the child or young person
Other support includes...
- Providing advice and training to families and teaching staff. This might be about adults changing how they support your child or doing some special activities
- Developing targets so that everyone is working towards the same goals for your child
- Runing groups targeting a specific area. Groups are great for language and communication as children and young people do much of their learning at school in groups. The Speech and Language Therapist may train others to carry out the group
For under 5's...
- There are monthly groups called Talking walk-in groups at Children's Centres all over the borough. You can just turn up, ask at Children's Centres
- Working directly with your child
- Regularly review a child or young person to make sure that they are continuing to do well and that the programme is updated and continues to be what is needed
If you need an interpreter please call our administrators on 020 7683 4262 and this can be arranged for you.
Record Last Updated on: 20/05/2020