Who we are
The screening team offer newborn hearing screening at Homerton hospital or at a number of clinics at health centres in Hackney.
What we do
Screening is a process of identifying individuals who appear healthy but may be at increased risk of a disease or condition.
The Newborn Hearing Screening tests to identify possible hearing loss in newborn babies. It is carried out as soon as possible after birth.
About the hearing screen:
- The test is painless, causes no discomfort and will usually be done while the baby is asleep or settled. It lasts a few minutes and results will be given as soon as the hearing screening test is done.
- If the test shows a clear response from both the baby's ears, it is unlikely that he or she will have hearing loss. If the test does not show a clear response from both ears, the baby will need to have a second test.
- The second screening test may also be done in hospital, or at a local health centre. The test can take between 5 and 30 minutes and parents/carers can stay with the baby while it's carried out.
Further follow-up and intervention:
- If the test does not show a clear response from both ears, the baby will be referred to Hackney Ark Audiology Department for further testing by an audiologist (a hearing specialist). This often happens at the second test, and it doesn't necessarily mean that a baby has hearing problems.
- Since the first year of life is critical for normal speech and language development, finding out early about a baby’s hearing means that if necessary, families can get advice and support to help the baby communicate
Record Last Updated on: 14/08/2019
Time / Date Details
Time of day
Monday to Sunday 9am - 4pm
GP, health visitor or call 020 8510 5738
What to do if you have a complaint
If you have a concern about the care you or a relative or friend is receiving you should talk to the person in charge of your care or the manager of the department.
If you prefer to discuss your concern with someone independent of your care team then you can contact our Patient Liaison and Advice Service (PALS).
The PALS team can help resolve queries and concerns quickly and if you are not happy with the outcome then they can advise you on our formal complaints process.
Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
London E9 6SR
Phone: 020 8510 7315 - out of office hours voicemail service available
Textphone: 07584 445 400
How to Get Here
Buses: 276, 236, 394, 425, 488, 242
Parking: Yes, disabled parking
Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents
Sign in to add feedback
Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer
Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.
Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.