Adult Social Care in Hackney

Service details

Who are we? 

Adult Social Care and support in Hackney is provided for adults aged 18 and older who have eligable support needs. Adult social care is made up of teams with different specialisms who provide information, services and support for different eligible groups.

These include those with: 

  • physical and sensory disabilities
  • learning difficulties
  • mental health problems
  • or those who are no longer able to manage without help

Not everyone who has a special educational need or disability (SEND) will need or get adult social care services even if they have had input from Disabled Children's Social Care.

The Care Act 2014 places a duty on local authorities’ to assess people’s needs and their eligibility for publicly funded care and support. When the transfer from children's to adult services happens, young people aged 18 can request an assessment of needs or a request can be made on their behalf by someone working with the young person or their parent or carer. 

What support do adult social care services provide? 

Adult Social Care is made up of different teams. Each team provides information, services and support for a different group of people. This helps them focus on understanding the needs of each specific group. 

Information and Access team 

Information and Access team is a "front door" service for Adult Social Care. The service provides information and advice to the public and other professionals on Adult Social Care services and related issues. The Information and Access team deal mainly with people who are not already getting social care. An initial assessments may be needed to see if support can be provided and if so by who.

Integrated Independence Team 

A team of health and social care staff who aim to support people to maintain their independence at home. Working across Homerton Hospital’s A&E department and wards, and also in people’s homes. They can help to avoid hospital admission, support people when being discharged from hospital, and work towards rehabilitation goals when they are at home.

Integrated Learning Disabilities Service for adults 

The integrated Learning Disabilities Service is for people over 18 years of age who have Learning Disabilities and who live and have a GP in the City and Hackney. They are a multi-disciplinary team that includes professionals from Health and Social Care. The Learning Disabilities Service will assess whether an adult has a Learning Disability using the eligibility criteria for their service. This helps them understand an individuals need and decide if or what services and support are needed. 

Hackney's Social Worker for adults with autism

Hackney has a Social Worker within it's Integrated Learning Disabilities Service for adults with autism.  The Autism Social Worker works only with adults with autism who do not also have a learning disability but who may have social care needs.

Long Term Care Team for Adults

The Long Term Care Team for adults provides services for those; already getting council funded support and care, adults with physical disabilities and adults with complex needs. 

Occupational Therapy (Adult Services)

Occupational Therapy (OT) aims to help those with physical impairments to increase their level of independence and wellbeing. The local authority usually works with local health providers to assess need and provide appropriate support and promote independence. This may include arranging for aids or adaptations or referring service users to other services that can also help with a focus on rehabilitation and support.

Equipment and Adaptations

If you have difficulties coping with daily living tasks and have a disability or are finding it difficult to access or move around your home, you may be entitled to equipment to assist with day to day activities or an adaptation to your home. This equipment may be on loan.

Hackney Mobility Service

Hackney Mobility Service provides: Freedom Passes (free London travel pass), Blue Badges (permits for free parking) and parking bays; for people with disabilities who meet the eligibility criteria. Some people are automatically entitled to a Blue Badge or Freedom Pass. If you are not automatically eligible then you may be asked to have an occupational therapist (OT) mobility assessment.

What if I need help but none of the teams listed here seem to offer what I need? 

If you need help and support that is not available from Adult Social Care they may be able to give you information about other organisations that could help instead.

Who can I contact if there is an emergency?

The Council has an emergency social work service that will respond in emergency situations that happen after 5pm during the week and at weekends and on bank holidays.

  • For emergency social care relating to adults including older people and people with disabilities please call 020 8356 2300
  • For mental health services contact the mental health emergency duty team at 020 8510 8980/898

The Safeguarding Adults Team

You can contact the safeguarding adults team from 9am to 5pm to report concerns about abuse or neglect of 'adults at risk' in Hackney. 

Safeguarding Adults Team, Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, Hackney E8 1DY. 

Phone 0208 356 5782

Fax 0208 356 5043.


Secure email

SEND Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Young Adults 18 - 25
Parents and Carers
SEN Provision Type
  • Targeted
  • Specialist

Who to contact

020 8356 6262 020 8356 6262
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street

E8 1DY

View E8 1DY on a map

Time / Date Details

Session Information
9:00 am - 5:00pm / emergency out of hours services are available

Other details

Referral required?


Referral Details

All referrals including self-referrals can be made by phone or by using the online referral form listed on Hackney Council's adult services web page.   

What to do if you have a complaint

How you feel about having used or experienced a service is important. Services often ask for feedback to help them understand how to make sure people they work with have a good experience.

If you have feedback about this service, something you liked or were not happy with, you can talk to the person who worked with you or, if you feel more comfortable, a service manager. They will try to help sort out any problems.

If you are still not happy with the service you can raise your concerns formally. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at your feedback or concern and see if anything can or needs to be done to help make things better.

If you need to make a formal complaint you can use the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure.


  • Advice, sign posting and assessments are not services that are charged for.
  • However if a client has been assessed as being eligible for council funded support community charges may apply.

Feedback from parents and others who have used this service

Sign in to write a review


Read our disclaimer - important information about Hackney SEND Local Offer and FIS


Save to shortlist
Tell us if this information needs changing


SEND Local Offer:

Provision type:

SEND Local Offer Type:

Last Updated

Last modified: