By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Important service message
A reduced service from SENDIAGS is in operation between
Monday 5th August - Monday 2nd September 2019.
Full service resumes on Tuesday 3rd September.
During the summer SENDIAGS caseworkers will continue to deliver support to the parents/carers and young people they are currently working with.
General national information for parents/ carers of children and young people with SEND about support and services is available elsewhere on this website and on the following websites:
E-mail and voicemail messages, received by the service, will be responded to, periodically, over the summer break.
We wish you all a good summer break.
Who we are:
The Hackney SEND Information, Advice and Guidance Service (SENDIAGS) is an arm's length service providing impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and young people and children with SEND.
This video has been produced with The Council for Disabled Children to explain more about how services like ours work with parents / carers and young people.
We provide information and advice on:
- legislation on SEND - what does the law say ?
- SEND local policy and practice - what actually happens in Hackney ?
- the Local Offer - what services are available locally ?
- personalisation and personal budgets - how are services tailored to individual needs ?
- options and routes to resolve a disagreement or make a complaint, including mediation - what happens when there is a problem ?
- the Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment - what does this mean?
- the process of developing an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) - how do we have a voice ?
What we do:
- help you think about your contribution for any assessment
- inform you of various routes of support if you are going through an EHC needs assessment
- help you prepare for a meeting and have an effective say in any discussions
- signpost you to relevant local and national sources of information, advice and support
- attend a meeting when appropriate
- meet with parent support groups and forums
- offer a range of training and events which are focused on SEND related topics
SENDIAGS telephone helpline 020 7275 6036 :
Helpline hours: 10am-3pm (Monday –Thursday) and 10am – 1pm (Friday)
Please note: There is a five working day response time to all calls and enquiries.
Our information for parents and carers:
SENDIAGS has produced the following guides that explain some of the new ways that services work to support young people and their families.
You can find the guides listed below or in the download section of this page.
SENDIAGS - School Meetings Planner (This document is a word doc. template and will automatically download when you click the link. You then need to open it or print it so that you can use it to record information.)
Our information for young people:
This video has been produced with The Council for Disabled Children to explain more about how services like ours work with young people and their parents / carers.
SENDIAGS has produced the following guides that explain some of the new ways that services work to support young people.
You can find the guides listed below where the links will open in the same window or you can see them in the download section of this page.
Young people with SEND can now also access 2 new websites made just for them:
Drop in sessions:
We offer a drop in advice service on the following days at the following venues.
Please note: We are not able see parents/carers without appointments outside of these weekly and monthly drop in sessions sessions.
We also offer specific advice sessions for young people.
Find out more: Hackney SENDIAGS - Drop in advice sessions
Knowledge is Power - Parent / Carer SEND information sessions
These information sessions provide useful advice and insights into national and local processes. Dates and topics for our annual KIP (Knowledge is Power) programme are available below.
Other useful information:
- Children's and Families Act 2014 Council for Disabled Children - Template Letters
- Children's and Families Act 2014 Council for Disabled Children - Factsheets
- List of services Turkcesi - information for Turkish speaking parents or carers
- SEND Organisations Information Sheet
- KIDS - SEND mediation London
- SEND - Tribunal service
Further information for parents and young people
The Department for Education and the Council for Disabled Children have produced these short films to help explain SEND processes to parents and young people.
What is a Person Centred Planning meeting?
Updated March 2019
What is an EHC Plan (Education, Health and Social Care Plan) and who is it for?
Updated March 2019
Education, Health and Social Care Plans - Annual Reviews
Updated March 2019
Record Last Updated on: 31/07/2019