By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
The Hackney SEND Information, Advice and Guidance Service (SENDIAGS) is an arm's length service providing impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and young people and children with SEND.
Part of the support offered to parents and carers from this service is a regular series of Knowledge is Power information sessions that provide useful advice and insights into national and local processes.
Presentations are delivered sometimes with partners from other agencies. Topic specific sessions are an opportunity for parents and carers to hear about SEND processes their children or young people may be involved in. There are opportunities to ask questions and hear from other parents.
Dates and topics for the 2019 - 2020 Knowledge is Power programme can be found below.
Staff are encouraged to print off and display these in settings where parents can see the information. Parents and carers are encouraged to save the date for sessions that are of interest and relevance to them.
Topic: Communicating with Your Child’s school
When: Wednesday - 29th April 2020 - 10am – 12pm
Delivered by: SENDIAGS
- Building a positive relationship with your child’s school
- Knowing your rights and responsibilities
- Preparing for meetings with the school and other agencies
- Features of effective communication
- What makes a meeting effective?
Topic: Social Communication: Support in School
When: Wednesday - 20th May 2020 - 10am – 12pm
Delivered by: Esther Adelman CAMHS, Inclusion and Specialist Support Team
- Autism support in schools (SCERTS)
- Getting your child diagnosed – when and how to refer?
- What happens during and after the assessment process?
- What support is provided to parents, children and the school after a diagnosis is made?
- What support is provided to parents, children and the school where a diagnosis is not made?
- Does a diagnosis guarantee better support at school?
- Is a diagnosis necessary for an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment?
Topic: Secondary School Transfer - Moving on to Secondary School
When: Wednesday - 3rd June 2020 - 10am – 12pm
Delivered by: SENDIAGS, Simone Bowen and Bron Roberts from the Education, health and care Planning Team.
- Understanding the application process
- How many preferences do I have?
- Key dates in the application process
- What if you don’t get one of your preferred schools?
- When can I visit schools?
Record Last Updated on: 06/01/2020