Skip to main content

Citizens Advice Hackney

300 Mare Street,
E8 1HE
Telephone: 020 8525 6350 (Reception only - not for advice)


Who we are...

Hackney Citizens Advice are part of a wider network of Citizens Advice organisations that help people resolve; legal, money, and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice and influencing policymakers through campaigning to improve policies and practices that affect people's lives.

We give people the knowledge and confidence they need to find their way forward - whoever they are, and whatever their problem.

Some Citizens Advice sessions and service are available at Children's Centres across Hackney for families with young children.

To find out about our full range of projects and services please visit our website.

What we do...

Citizens Advice offers information online or by phone.

A session supervisor adviser should be available by phone but this may be for an introductory interview only to help decide how the service can best advised you further.  

Information from our reception

Information from reception is available Monday to Friday 9.30 am to 5.00 pm

Although our receptionists have a wide range of information available they are not the advice service and are only able to provide information.   

Early morning drop in Advice Service 

Citizens Advice offer an “Early Morning Drop In Advice Service” on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:30 am. At these sessions clients are seen for an initial 10 minute assessment of need. There is a high demand for this service.

Clients are asked to arrive early for drop in sessions which operate on a first come first served basis.

The service reaches capacity for the morning quickly, Mondays especially are often oversubscribed, all slots for the day are usually taken by 9:30am. 

As part of our drop in service we can offer clients with disabilities, or their parents and carers, support with form filling, including ESA (Employment and Support Allowance), DLA (Disability Living Allowance) and PIP (Personal Independence Payments) forms.

We have trained volunteers to support with this offer to increase capacity and availability.

Dependant on availability trained volunteers may be able assist at the client's drop in appointment, later the same day or will book an appointment at a later date to assist with completing the form. Clients wishing to access the form filling support are strongly advised to:

  • access the service as soon as possible after receiving the form as we cannot guarantee an appointment at short notice and there may be DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) set deadlines for forms to be returned
  • to bring related information and documentation to the appointment as evidence to reference and/or include to support the claim.

Public Health Funded Advice

The Public Health Funded Advice is delivered in GP surgeries and Health settings across the borough. Ten locations take part in this service and Citizens Advice Hackney support two of these health settings. Other partnership providers offer the same support in the remaining eight. Support includes help with form filling including DLA, PIP and ESA.

Clients wishing to access this support are eligable if registered with a GP or setting taking part in this scheme. You can check which GPs offer this advice service online:

Contact your participating GP practice to book an appointment.

Help to Claim Project (HTC)

Our Help to Claim Project (HTC) supports people claim Universal Credit up until their first payment.  so this may not include PIP and DLA.

Clients can book an appointment themselves by calling: 0800 144 8 444

Citizens Advice sessions at Children's Centres in Hackney

Please note children's centres sessions are only for families with children under 5 with one exception. Families with children under 11 years of age can be seen at sessions held at Tyssen Children's Centre.

For all appointments please call individual Children's Centres to book. 

Parents attending Children's Centre Citizens Advice sessions for help completing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) forms:

  • must book an appointments beforehand by calling the individual centre and
  • must state this is the service they require when booking their appointment

This is because two separate appointments will be needed to complete the form filling process. Sessions generally last 30 minutes per person/family as these forms generally take much longer to complete.

Ann Tayler Children's Centre

Dates: 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wednesday of each month

Time: 10.00 - 1.00 pm. 

Phone: 020 7275 6020

Daubeney Children’s Centre

Date: Every Tuesday

Time: 10.00 - 1.00 pm. 

Phone:  020 8525 7040

Linden Children's Centre

Date: Every Friday

Time: 10.00 - 1.00 pm

Phone: 020 7254 9939

Mapledene & Queensbridge Children's Centre

Date: 1st Wednesday of each month

Time: 10.00 - 1.00 pm. 

Phone:  020 7249 8139

Sebright Children’s Centre

Date: Every Monday

Time: 9:30 - 12.30 pm

Phone: 020 7749 1210

Children's Centre at Tyssen (Children can be up to age 11 for these sessions only)

Date: Every Friday

Time: 10.00 am to 1.00 pm. 

Phone: 020 8806 4130

Other Citizens Advice organisations: 


Citizen Advice Hackney can support with European Settlement forms. 

Before your appointment it is useful if you can gather together any identity documents like such as Passport and residence documents for example bills, payslips, benefit documents. Contact the service by phone to book an appointment.

Citizen Advice Hackney can support with Windrush compensation scheme applications.

Call 0800 678 1925 (Windrush helpline) to check your eligibility and ask for Citizens Advice support to complete the claim.

Record Last Updated on: 29/10/2019

Time / Date Details

Time of day


Session Information

Information from Reception - Monday to Friday 9.30 - 5 pm

Other Details



Who is eligible?

People living in the borough of Hackney. 

Referral required?


Referral Details

Contact the advice session supervisor to discuss particular requirements if you have additional needs. 

What to do if you have a complaint

Your feedback is important to us. If you have a concern please discuss it with your advisor who will try to help. If this does not resolve the issue please follow the steps in our complaints procedure . 

How to Get Here

Buses: 30, 38, 55, 106, 236, 242, 253, 276, 277, D6

Train: London Fields, Hackney Central, Hackney Downs

If the circumstances required it a home visit may be possible but this is not usually offered. 

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top