Children’s Physiotherapy Service at Hackney Ark
Who are we?
The Children’s Physiotherapy Team based in Hackney Ark, is a specialist service that assesses and treats children with neurodisabilities, who may have difficulties with mobility and gross motor tasks like sitting, standing, and walking; due to disability or developmental delay.
Our Mission Statement
“We believe that all children should have the same opportunities to grow and thrive.
Our mission is to support children and their families to help them realise their potential so they can participate and play in their own environment.”
The service can carry out assessments and support with advice and the provision of equipment where appropriate.
We also have a team of physiotherapists providing input into special schools in Hackney and daily physiotherapy input into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Homerton Hospital overseeing a smooth transition into community services.
We see children at home, at school, at Hackney Ark, and in other community and leisure settings.
We work closely with other services for example paediatricians, social care, nursing, and psychology services.
In addition to assessments and equipment provision, the service offer includes the following options.
- HIT Squad
- Hackney Ark drop-in clinics
- Mini-Mover sessions held in various Children's Centres
- PPSC (Paediatric Physiotherapy Screening Clinic)
- Gym drop-in
- Adventure Circus
- Twinkle Toes
- Sports Club
Contact the service for more information.
- 1:1 Physiotherapy intervention including in the home, at school, at Hackney ARK, or in a community setting.
- Orthotics / Equipment assessment and provision
- Gait clinic - gait means the way a person walks
- Lower limb clinic (CPIPS)
- Outcome measure clinic
- Input in NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) and INDS (Infant Neurodevelopment Service) clinic at Homerton for at-risk babies
- Liaison with tertiary services - tertiary care is a higher level of specialised care within a hospital.
Physiotherapy training packages for schools and services
The Children’s Physiotherapy Service offers specialist training packages that can be purchased by schools, Children’s Centres, and other settings.
- Inclusion of the disabled child in PE (Physical Education)
- Swimming with children with disabilities
- Risk assessment skills
SEND Local Offer
- Local Offer Age Bands
Early Years and Pregnancy 0-4
Primary 4 -10
Preparing for Adulthood 14-18
- SEN Provision Type
Who to contact
- 020 7014 7025 020 7014 7025
- Scan to visit this website
Where to go
Children’s Physiotherapy Service
Downs Park Road
E8 2FPView E8 2FP on a map
- Venue Notes
- 67, 76, 243 or 149 to Stoke Newington (Shaklewell Lane Stop)
- 276 to Amhurst road (Downs Park Road stop)
- 30 or 56 to Dalston Lane (Cecilia Road/Greenacre Court stop)
Dalston Kingsland, Hackney Downs
Reception can ring for cabs for patients.
The car park has 10 car spaces including two spaces for disabled drivers along with motorcycle and bicycle spaces. Parking is restricted to clients and service users only.
Service users will need to use the entry-phone to alert main reception of their arrival and be permitted to enter the car park. Anyone using the car park does so at their own risk.
There are on street parking bays opposite the building.
Pay and display available on surrounding roads.
Transport to service for some children & young people depending on their mobility needs.
Consideration may be given to the use of hospital transport in very exceptional circumstances only.
ERS Medical are the provider of non-emergency patient transport services for Homerton NHS Trust. If eligable this can be arranged in advance with the services administration department.
Time / Date Details
- Time of day
- Session Information
Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm
- Referral required?
- Referral Details
The Physiotherapy teams are accepting new referrals which are screened as usual. Referral forms (available in the download section of this page) should be forwarded to email@example.com
Referrals are accepted if the child or young person is:
- Aged 0 –18 (or 19 if still attending Ickburgh special school)
- Attending school in City or Hackney and has a Hackney GP
- Resident in City or Hackney and has a Hackney GP
To find out more information about our services, please contact the service administrator by phone on 0207 014 7025
- What to do if you have a complaint
If you have a concern about the service you have received please speak to your therapist or the person who has been working wiht you so that they can try to address your concerns. If that does not help you can arrange to contact the service’s management team via admin.
If you prefer to discuss your concern with someone independent of your care team then you can contact our Patient Liaison and Advice Service (PALS).
The PALS team can help resolve queries and concerns quickly and if you are not happy with the outcome then they can advise you on our formal complaints process.
PALS, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Homerton Row, London, E9 6SR
Phone 020 8510 7315 (Out of office hours voicemail service available)
Textphone 07584 445 400
- Free to children, young people and parents and carers
- Training packages for schools and setting are chargeable
Feedback from parents and others who have used this service
SEND Local Offer channel tags:
SEND Local Offer: