By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Who we are:
Homerton’s School Nursing Service is part of the schools based health services for maintained (local authority funded) schools in Hackney and the City of London.
School Nursing Services (previously 2 separate services Schools Nurse and Safeguarding Schools Nurse service) will be integrated and delivered as one service as of 1st September 2018.
What we do:
Homerton School Nursing Service provides the following support to children and young people from reception through to leaving school:
Support for children with disabilities and/or additional health needs
Safeguarding School Health Service
- Referral to specialist services
- Immunisations programme (delivered by Vaccination UK)
Information for parents and young people:
School Health Entry Check for children entering reception year:
National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) service for children in Year 6:
Supporting children with disabilities or additional health needs
The service provides a range of care for children with disabilities and/or medical condition in both special and mainstream schools.
Support may include;
- Dedicated provision for maintained, special schools to meet the on-going school health needs of their pupils.
- Support for maintained schools to meet the school health needs of children with disabilities and additional needs.
- The development of Individual Healthcare Plans for all children with medical needs, attending maintained educational settings aged 5-19 years.
- Training for school staff and early year’s settings to increase their understanding of and confidence in supporting children with health conditions including; asthma, epilepsy, anaphylaxis and diabetes,
- Delivery of a universal, preventative health offer that maximises the physical and mental health of school aged children in maintained schools.
We also offer a prioritised, safeguarding school health service to children of school age identified as:
- Children in Need (CIN)
- Children on Child Protection plans, and
- Children identified as ‘vulnerable’ in terms of safeguarding
The team work with other appropriate services to ensure children are kept safe.
The school immunisations programme is delivered by Vaccination UK dedicated Immunisations Team
Phone: 0333 800 5100
Referral to specialist services
School nurses can refer children needing specialist support for medical assessment or to be seen by one of our specialist services, such as:
- Speech and language therapy
- CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)
- Community Paediatrics
Your school's named school nurse is available to discuss and concerns about health provision for children in your setting and able to work with you to resolve any issues.
How to contact us
If you have any questions please contact the service and someone will respond as soon as possible.
Homerton's School Nursing Service – Team Admin: 020 7683 4991
e-mail: email@example.com (checked Monday to Friday between 9am - 5 pm)
General enquiries contact - Lead School Nurse: Florenceelikwu@nhs.net
School Immunisation Programme contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Last Updated on: 24/09/2018