Who are we?
Homerton’s School Nursing Service is part of the schools based health services for maintained (local authority funded) schools in Hackney and the City of London.
The School Nursing Services was previously delivered as 2 separate services. The Schools Nurse and Safeguarding Schools Nurse service. This is now offered as an integrated service as of September 2018.
What do we do?
Homerton School Nursing Service provides the following support to children and young people from reception class through to leaving school:
Support for children with disabilities and/or additional health needs
Safeguarding School Health Service
- Referral to specialist services
- Immunisations programme (delivered by Vaccination UK)
Service information for parents and young people is available here:
School Health Entry Check for children entering reception year:
National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) service for children in Year 6:
Supporting children with disabilities or additional health needs
The service provides a range of care for children with disabilities and/or medical condition in both special and mainstream schools. Support may include;
- Dedicated provision for maintained, special schools to meet the schools on-going health needs of their pupils.
- Support for maintained schools to meet the school health needs of children with disabilities and additional needs.
- The development of Individual Healthcare Plans for all children with medical needs, attending maintained educational settings aged 5-19 years.
- Training for school staff and early year’s settings to increase their understanding of and confidence in supporting children with health conditions including; asthma, epilepsy, anaphylaxis and diabetes,
Delivery of a universal, preventative health offer that maximises the physical and mental health of school aged children in maintained schools. This may include health talks on issues such as:
- puberty (growing up)maintaining good hygiene
- exercise and healthy eating
- having healthy relationships with friends
- drop-in service for young people in secondary school
We also offer a prioritised, safeguarding school health service to children of school age identified as:
- Children in Need (CIN)
- Children on Child Protection plans, and
- Children identified as ‘vulnerable’ in terms of safeguarding
The team work with other appropriate services to ensure children are kept safe.
Referral to specialist services
Our school nurses can refer any child who might require more specialist support for medical assessment or to be seen by one of our specialist services. These may include:
- Speech and language therapy
- Child and adolescent mental health services or CAMHS who are the NHS services that assess and treat young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.
- Children’s Social Care
- CHYPS (City and Hackney's Young Peoples Services) Plus
- Hackney Young Carers
- Off Centre –Young People's Counselling service
- Sexual Health Services
- Young Hackney Services
The school's named school nurse is available to discuss any concerns about health provision for children in schools settings. They are able to work with you to resolve any issues.
How to contact us
If you have any questions please contact the service and someone will respond as soon as possible.
Homerton's School Nursing Service Administration Phone Number 020 7683 4991
Email email@example.com (checked Monday to Friday between 9am - 5 pm)
For general enquiries contact the Lead School Nurse Florenceelikwu@nhs.net
School Immunisation Programme contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The school immunisations programme is delivered by Vaccination UK dedicated Immunisations Team
Phone 0333 800 5100
Record Last Updated on: 13/04/2022