Skip to main content

Information and Access team

1 Hillman Street,
E8 1DY
Telephone: 020 8356 6262
020 8356 2300 (Urgent requests out of hours)


Who are we? 

Information and Access Team (IAT) is a "front door" service for Adult Social Care.

The service provides information and advice on Adult Social Care services and related issues to the public and other professionals.

What do we do? 

The Information and Access team deal mainly with people who are not already getting social care. An initial assessments may be needed to see if support can be provided and if so by who.  This may be one of the following:

  • An Adult Needs Assessment. 
  • Initial Contact Assessments for new referrals
  • Community Care Assessments for people who may need on-going support.
  • Referrals for Targeted Preventative Services (TPS)
  • Safeguarding Investigations involving vulnerable adults who are not in receipt of formal care and support. 

Signposting and onward referrals

If you are not eligible for an Adult Social Care service the service will give you information about other local services and resources that may be able to help you. These may be health services or other organisation commissioned to work with specific groups of people. The service can make onward referrals if an assessment shows this would help.

Reablement Assessesments

Reablement focuses on supporting people to regain their independence, helping them relearn how to do things for themselves rather than having services do things for them.

Reablement services are for people with disabilities and those who are frail or recovering from an illness or injury. The aim is to help people to be able to complete activities like cooking meals, washing and getting about, so they can do things for themselves again, stay independent and live in their own home. 

Who else might be involved in providing support to adults? 

These council adult services may require a referral:

Record Last Updated on: 17/05/2022

Other Details


All advice, signposting and assessments are not services that are charged for.
If a client has been assessed as being eligible for council funded support, community charges may apply

Who is eligible?

Hackney residents over the age of 18 years who:

  • Have a long-term condition or health need and or;
  • Older people or vulnerable adults requiring input from Adult Social Care to remain as independent as possible in the community

Referral required?


Referral Details

What to do if you have a complaint

How you feel about having used or experienced a service is important. Services often ask for feedback to help them understand how to make sure people they work with have a good experience.

If you have feedback about this service, something you liked or were not happy with, you can talk to the person who worked with you or, if you feel more comfortable, a service manager. They will try to help sort out any problems.

If you are still not happy with the service you can raise your concerns formally. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at your feedback or concern and see if anything can or needs to be done to help make things better.

If you need to make a formal complaint you can use the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure.

How to Get Here

Buses: 30, 38, 388, 55, 106, 236, 242, 253, 254, 276, 277, D6

Train: London Fields, Hackney Central, Hackney Downs

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top