Skip to main content

Medical Needs Tuition Service

Hackney Education,
1 Reading Lane,
E8 1GQ
Telephone: 07827 282 436 (Service Coordinator)
020 8820 7494


Coronavirus team update

The Medical Needs Tuition Service continues to work with children and young people with medical and physical health needs who are not able to attend school throughout the pandemic. We can deliver sessions online or face to face, depending on both the needs of the child and the public health guidance at that time.

If you would like to discuss the needs of any individual child who cannot attend school due to physical or mental health needs please call the Medical Needs Tuition Service Coordinator, Juliette Harries. 

Phone 07827 282 436


Who are we? 

The Medical Needs Tuition Service is for children with medical needs, including mental health, who are unable to attend school for 15 days consecutively (in a row) or cumulatively (when added together) in a school year.

  • This service is for children or young people aged 4 – 16 who live in Hackney.
  • They do not have to go to school in Hackney.
  • Medical Needs Tuition Service lessons should usually be delivered under the advice of a Consultant level doctor for physical health needs, or a CAMHS clinician for students with mental health needs

Note:  This service is not for children and young people where a family choose to educate at home and not in school. These families should already been in touch with the Elective Home Education Service for further advice. 

What do we do? 

Hackney Medical Needs Tuition Service provides one-to-one tuition to pupils in
their home, a local library or sometimes at school while they are unable to attend
school due to their health needs. In the Covid 19 context, learning can take place online or face to face, depending on individual needs and the public health guidance at that time.

This helps pupils with medical needs continue to make progress while they are out of

The Medical Needs Tuition Service works in partnership with:

  • parents
  • children
  • CAMHS and health services
  • SEND professionals
  • Hackney Children’s Social Care
  • schools

The service also supports pupils’ reintegration back into school at the end of the period of tuition.

A range of policy documents, guidance and example forms can be found in the download section of this page. 

The Specialist Teacher for Medical Needs

The Specialist Teacher for Medical Needs is a separate but linked service offering consultation and advice to schools and support to families who have children and young people with medical needs. The service support the inclusion and care of students with medical needs in schools. Find out more about the Specialist Teacher for Medical Needs.

Note: This is a 'core service' that schools and parents do not pay for.

Phone number 020 8820 7140

    Record Last Updated on: 01/03/2022

    Time / Date Details

    Time of day

    • Morning
    • Afternoon

    Session Information

    Monday to Friday - School Hours

    Other Details



    Who is eligible?

    • The child or young person is a Hackney resident
    • The child or young person is of statutory school age
    • The child or young person is unable to access suitable education due to health needs for 15 days or more, either consecutively or cumulatively, over the course of the school year
    • The referral is supported by medical evidence of the need for home tuition from a health consultant

    Referral required?


    Referral Details

    The referral form can be completed and returned to the service by schools or by any professional working with a child or young person. This is available in the download section of this page. 

    What to do if you have a complaint

    Services often ask for feedback. This helps them understand how to make sure people they work with have a good experience. How you feel about having used or experienced a service is important. 

    If you have feedback about this service, something you liked or were not happy with, you can talk to the person who worked with you or, if you feel more comfortable, a service manager. They will try to help sort out any problems.

    If you are still not happy with the service you can raise your concerns formally. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at your feedback or concern and see if anything can or needs to be done to help make things better.

    If you need to make a formal complaint you can use the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure.

    How to Get Here

    Buses: 30, 38, 55, 106, 236, 242, 253, 276, 277, D6

    Train: London Fields, Hackney Central, Hackney Downs

    Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

    Sign in to add feedback

    Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

    Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

    This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

    Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

    Help & Advice

    Back to top