By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
As a group or as individuals POhWER self advocates are involved in different groups in Hackney, as well as regional and national groups including:
- Learning Disability Partnership Board
- NHS England Choice Plan Toolkit Engagement event - Regional Accessible Information Standard Implementation Workshops
- User Engagement Group at Homerton Hospital
- Homerton Hospital Learning Disability Working Group
- Learning Disability SIG with Hackney Community Voluntary Service
- National Mental Capacity Forum – POhWER self advocate Israel was a speaker
- Self Advocates interviewing POhWER staff
- Self Advocates as part of the panel and creating own questions when interviewing senior Hackney Local Authority and NHS staff
- Hackney support worker training meeting
- London Regional Forum Election for Chair preparation meetings – Self Advocates if successful our candidate will represent London in the National Forum
- Patient and Public Involvement Committee at St. Leonard’s Hospital
- TFL Valuing People Big Day Network
We also host regular forums in Dalston which are based on a theme decided by the self advocates, and are open to:
- anyone with a Learning Disability
- their carers
Previous forums topics have included:
- working with NHS such as GP receptionists and pharmacies
All information is fed back to Hackney Local Authority and NHS Hackney.
POhWER's forums are usually in March, June, September and December and everyone is welcome.
POhWER in Hackney also helps to plan, create and host The Big Do, a whole day event created by people with Learning Disabilities for people with Learning Disabilities.
Themed days for The Big Do have included ‘Looking After Me’ and ‘My Voice My Choice’ and stalls were run by numerous local charities, organisations and Local Authority and NHS teams. The day and also includes workshops and interactive stage sessions all aimed at empowerment for those attending.
Please contact the main service provider who will help put you in touch with a local representative.