By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
HIP, like other organisations, are following Government and Public Health guidelines on social distancing. This means face to face events have postponed or moved online for the time being.
Information for parents and carers is still available on HiP's FaceBook and Twitter social media channels and via HiP's regular newsletter
Who we are...
HiP is the official forum for Hackney parents/carers, run by parents and carers for anyone whose child (0-25) has any kind of disability, SEN or additional needs.
HiP is part of a wider network of parent carer forums know as The National Network of Parents Carer Forums (NNPCF). A network of local forums who meet in local and regional settings and who work together to effect local and national service improvement through participation and co-production with parent carers.
What we do...
HiP work with education, health and social care professionals and providers to try and get families’ voices heard wherever decisions are being made. Forum activities include:
- Passing on information to parents and carers about services their child/young person might use
- Organising activities to find out what families think about current services
- Taking parents’ concerns forward to service managers
- Representing parents on the various committees set up to help with the SEN reforms (like the one which planned the Local Offer)
- Training and mentoring parents interested in becoming representatives
- Helping to improve communication between families and services
- Organising events and training days
- Helping families find the right services
- Linking with forums in other parts of the UK to share ideas
HiP is run by a steering committee elected each year at the Annual General Meeting.
Contact HiP to find out more about:
- being on the steering committee
- representing HiP at meetings or
- to share information and experiences about using disability services for a child or young person
e-mail and phone contact details above.
Information events and workshops
HIP run information events and workshops throughout the year.
Please check social media for the latest information:
Drop in parent/carer advice sessions
HiP hold regular drop in sessions at Hackney Ark - Resource Centre.
Downs Park Road,
HIP's drop in sessions are on Thursdays term time from 9:30am - 12:30pm.
- A representative for HiP will be available to meet with parents and carers and listen to concerns.
- Where appropriate they will signpost for further information or advice.
- Issues identified by parents/carers may be raised with SEND managers and service leads or with SEND relevant commissioners where appropriate.
- Themes identified may feed into HIP's information events or workshops for parents/carers.
Parent Carer Forums include parent carers with a range of experiences in Health, Education and Social Care as their children have a wide range of conditions.
Parents in the wider network of parent carer forums know as The NNPCF (National Network of Parents Carer Forums) total over 77,000: they contribute to local, regional and national consultations.
Parent carer forums continue to develop closer working relationships with local authorities and health authorities at all levels, including local working with Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) for wider benefit to all parents and carers.
See here for more information: http://www.nnpcf.org.uk/
Record Last Updated on: 08/06/2020