Hackney Educational Psychology Service (EPS)

Service details

Who are we? 

Educational Psychologists also called EPs or Ed Psychs have professional qualifications in psychology and educational psychology. Educational Psychologists focus on how children and young people develop, learn and behave.

What do we do? 

Educational Psychologists work collaboratively with staff in education settings, parents, children and young people. 

  • EPs work with them to help children and young people who are having difficulties receive the right sort of help.
  • Each of the maintained schools and colleges in Hackney has an allocated EP who visits regularly to work with staff.
  • Many of Hackney’s maintained schools and colleges also buy in additional EP time. Agreeing how to use this time is used is often agreed during termly multi-agency planning meetings.

How we work in schools

If a child or young person is having difficulty at school or college, staff will try to help them with interventions for pupils at SEN Support level including using the Graduated Response (PDF 846 KB). 

If, despite getting help, the pupil does not make progress and parents have given their permission, the setting can ask an Educational Psychologist (EP) to suggest ways of helping.

The EP may then:

  • work with key members of staff in the school or setting
  • observe a child or young person
  • work with a child or young person individually

They may also contact other professionals who know the child or young person well.

How do we work with parents? 

EP Service will always involve parent and carers sharing ideas and planning programmes that will support their children.

They may suggest:

  • ways parents can help their child at home
  • ways the child or young person's teachers or key worker can help
  • a referral to another agency for further advice
  • recommend extra support using a particular intervention 

The views and wishes of the child or young person will be a focus for any planning. 

Educational Psychology Parent Advice Sessions

The service also offers free bookable Educational Psychology Parent Advice Sessions independently of it's work in schools.

The sessions are open to all children young people and their families living in Hackney. This includes: 

  • very young children not yet in school
  • children and young people who are out of school 
  • children and young people who live in Hackney and attend settings in other boroughs

Please book using the online form or call the service to book a session slot

SEND Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Early Years and Pregnancy 0-4
Primary 4 -10
Secondary 11-14
Preparing for Adulthood 14-18
Young Adults 18 - 25
Parents and Carers
SEN Provision Type
  • Targeted
  • Specialist

Who to contact

020 8820 7519 020 8820 7519 020 8820 7000 020 8820 7000 Option 4 then option 1 Option 4 then option 1

Where to go

Hackney Service Centre
Hackney Integrated SEND Services (Floor 3)
1 Hillman Street

E8 1DY

View E8 1DY on a map
Venue Notes

Buses: 30, 38, 388, 55, 106, 236, 242, 253, 276, 277, D6

Train: London Fields, Hackney Central, Hackney Downs

Time / Date Details

Time of day
  • Morning
  • Afternoon
Session Information
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Other details

Referral required?


Referral Details

Practitioners and school staff

Settings are asked to complete and sign a "Request for Educational Psychology Involvement form" with parents or carers. This should help to give an outline of concerns and describe action taken so far by the school and any other services. The service requires this as parental consent to work with the child or young person. These forms are circulated to schools or can be requested from the service. 

Parents and carers

The service is not able to accept self-referrals directly from parents and carers instead they ask to book a slot to discuss concerns about their child or young person at one of the Educational Psychology Parent Advice Sessions

What to do if you have a complaint

If you have feedback about this service, something you liked or were not happy with, you can talk to the person who worked with you or, if you feel more comfortable, a service manager. They will use your feedback to look at if the service is as good as it can be and try to help sort out any problems.

If you are still not happy with the service you can raise your concerns formally. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at your feedback or concern and see if anything can or needs to be done to help make things better.

If you need to make a formal complaint you can use the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure.


  • There is a free advice offer to parents via bookable session on Wednesdays during term time
  • Settings can contact the service to discuss their needs or commission extra support

Feedback from parents and others who have used this service

Sign in to write a review


Read our disclaimer - important information about Hackney SEND Local Offer and FIS

Last Updated

Last modified: