Skip to main content

Hackney - Educational Psychology Service

Hackney Education (SEND),
1 Reading Lane,
E8 1GQ
Telephone: 020 8820 7519
020 8820 7000
Option 4 then option 1


Corona-virus Team Update

Educational Psychology Service - Telephone Parent Advice Line

If you would like support and advice, we are offering an opportunity for you to talk about your child/children with an educational psychologist for up to 30 minutes by phone on Wednesdays between 1pm and 3pm during term time. 

Please call to book an appointment 020 8820 7519

If we cannot answer the phone do leave a message and the service will get back to you. 

We are continuing other work and training.Schools and other services can make contact to discuss how we can work with them during the crisis.

Who are we? 

Educational Psychologists also called EPs or Ed Psychs have professional qualifications in psychology and educational psychology. Educational Psychologists focus on how children and young people develop, learn and behave.

What do we do? 

Educational Psychologists work collaboratively with staff in education settings, parents, children and young people. 

  • EPs work with them to help children and young people who are having difficulties receive the right sort of help.
  • Each of the maintained schools and colleges in Hackney has an allocated EP who visits regularly to work with staff.
  • Many of Hackney’s maintained schools and colleges also buy in additional EP time. Agreeing how to use this time is used is often agreed during termly multi-agency planning meetings.

How do we work in schools?

If a child or young person is having difficulty at school or college, staff will try to help them with interventions for pupils at SEN Support level .

If despite getting help, the pupil does not make progress and parents have given their permission, the setting can ask an educational psychologist to suggest ways of helping.

The educational psychologist (EP) may then:

  • work with key members of staff in the school or setting
  • observe a child or young person
  • work with a child or young person individually

They may also contact other professionals who know the child or young person well.

How do we work with parents? 

EP Service will always involve parent and carers sharing ideas and planning programmes that will support their children.

They may suggest:

  • ways parents can help their child at home
  • ways the child or young person's teachers or key worker can help
  • a referral to another agency for further advice
  • recommend extra support using a particular intervention 

The views and wishes of the child or young person will be a focus for any planning. 

The service also offer Educational Psychology Parent Advice Sessions independently of it's work in schools.

The sessions are open to all children young people and their families living in Hackney. This includes: 

  • very young children not yet in school
  • children and young people who are out of school 
  • children and young people who live in Hackney and attend settings in other boroughs

Please call the service to book a session. 

Record Last Updated on: 27/01/2021

Time / Date Details

Time of day

  • Morning
  • Afternoon

Session Information

Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Other Details


There is a free advice offer to parents
Settings can contact the service to discuss their needs or commission extra support

Referral required?


Referral Details

Settings are asked to complete and sign a Request for Educational Psychology Involvement form with parents/carers, to give an outline of their concerns and to describe action taken so far by the school and other services. The service needs this as consent to work with the child or young person. 

The service is not able to accept referrals directly from parents and carers.

Parents or carers can discuss concerns about their child or young person at one of the Parent Advice Sessions

What to do if you have a complaint

How you feel about having used or experienced a service is important. Services often ask for feedback to help them understand how to make sure people they work with have a good experience.

If you have feedback about this service, something you liked or were not happy with, you can talk to the person who worked with you or, if you feel more comfortable, a service manager. They will try to help sort out any problems.

If you are still not happy with the service you can raise your concerns formally. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at your feedback or concern and see if anything can or needs to be done to help make things better.

If you need to make a formal complaint you can use the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure.

How to Get Here

Buses: 30, 38, 388, 55, 106, 236, 242, 253, 276, 277, D6

Train: London Fields, Hackney Central, Hackney Downs

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top