COVID-19 service update
Current Service September 2020
- All appointments are conducted over the phone or online except for the Quick Steps service, which are offering face to face appointments.
- Some under 5’s work is being offered face to face where necessary.
- First Steps are accepting referrals from professionals for Children and Young People aged 0-18 with mild to moderate mental health presentations (e.g. anxiety or low mood lasting for less than 6 months, poor self-esteem or difficulties with peer relationships).
- These appointments are offered where a child or young person would benefit from uni-professional psychological work with a clinician. This is a short term, targeted intervention of up to 6 sessions.
- Referral forms must be fully completed.
- In this period we are not able to take any self-referrals.
For referrals email huh-tr.FirstSteps@nhs.net
For crisis families can call: 0208432 8020
Duty system running daily from Hackney Ark.
Contact number: 02070147135
CAMHS have put together the following doucuments to update and help families and young people know how to mamange their well-being and mental health, with support if needed, during the current government enforced lockdown.
COVID-19 resources for parents-carers CAMHS (information, resources and links)
Short leaflet that helpfully identifies sources of support for a those experiencing different levels of difficulty and includes current contact numbers for a range of eventualities.
Who we are...
First Steps is an NHS psychology service for children and young people aged 0 – 18 years and their families.
The aim of Fist Steps is to offer early help with any difficulties related to behaviour, emotions and relationships before they become more complicated or difficult to address.
Our team of 25 Family and Child Practitioners includes a:
- Clinical Psychologist
- Mental Health nurses
- Assistant Psychologists
Our Community Psychology Team run sessions from Children's Centres in Hackney and GP surgeries across Hackney to try to ensure there is easy access to the service.
What we do...
The First Steps Team offers a range of services and can help parents and families with the following kinds of problems:
- Sleeping problems
- Selective eating
- Toilet training
- Relationships with brothers and sisters and other children the same age
- Difficulties with your relationship with your child
- Disagreements in the family about parenting
- Worries following an illness or bereavement or issues that are affecting the whole family
- Changes at home or school that have affected a child's emotions and behaviour
First Steps can also help children and young people with:
- Fears, unhappiness, anger, anxiety or other difficult feelings
- Being withdrawn, being aggressive, taking risks or other difficult behaviours
- Feelings related to parental illness or health problems
- Changes within the family e.g. Separation
- Relationships with family, friends or teachers
Watch this short film of interviews with young people talking about their experience of having support from the service.
Record Last Updated on: 25/09/2020