Libraries offer a wide range of free services for everyone. If you become a member of a library you can:
- borrow books, talking books, DVDs, CDs and language courses
- book and use a computer at any Hackney library for free
- access free Wi-Fi
- check your library account and renew your items online
- download e-books, audiobooks and magazines free of charge
- use your library card to search and reserve items from our online catalogue
- gain access to books, information and activities that promote health and wellbeing
Apply for library membership
Membership is free and anyone can join - you don't have to live in Hackney.
Once you have joined you can visit any of Hackney's libraries with your confirmation number and ID to activate your membership.
You can also join in person at any of our library branches.
Shoreditch Library has:
- Private study area
- Computer access
- Learn to use the internet
- Computer coaching
- Adult/Children's library
- Books & talking books
- Newspapers & Magazines
- Adult reading group
- Reading group for children
Regular activities at Shoreditch Library?
- Theraputic reading group - particularly welcomes people who have been suffering form depression or mental ill-health
- Chatterbooks reading group (ages 8-12)
- Under 5's story time and Stay and Play
- ESOL - assessments - Wednesdays 1pm and 6pm term time only
- Mini builders - lego and construction play
- Computer sessions for people with learning disabilities - Thurdays 2-4pm
- Adult reading group
- Monthly Craft Club (ages 4-12)
- Councillor's surgery
What seasonal events are on?
Please check the website which is where the libraries regularly update their current information.
- wheelchair access
- toilets with disabled access
- car park
- parking nearby for blue badge holders
Record Last Updated on: 13/10/2017
Time / Date Details
Time of day
Monday to Thursday 10am – 8pm
Friday 10am – 6pm
Saturday 10am – 5pm
What to do if you have a complaint
If you have any feedback about the service you received – something you like or are not happy with; then do talk about it with the worker or manager in the service, so that they can look at how they deliver their service.
If you have a situation that you are still not happy about then you can raise it formally as part of the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure; click here for more information.
How to Get Here
Buses: 37, 38, 56, 149, 243
Train: Old Street, Hoxton
Parking: Car park, parking for blue badge holders
Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents
Sign in to add feedback
Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer
Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.
Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.