By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Who we are...
Early Support Specialist Teachers and Area Sencos are part of the Inclusion and Specialist Support Team at Hackney Learning Trust.
We work directly with early years settings and families/carers of and children aged 0-5 years old with SEND.
What we do...
All early years settings have a named Senco (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) . Area SENCos and settings SENCos work together to support children with SEND.
Each setting has an allocated Area Senco and each Area Senco has around 25 settings in their case load.
They can advise and support parents/carers, and provide specialist teaching and interventions to help child development.
The team also supports children with SEND to make successful transitions from nursery to primary school.
Settings themselves are responsible for the “assess, plan, do, review” cycle (SEND Code of Practice 2014):
- Identifying children with possible SEN (assess)
- Liaising with parents and bringing professionals and parents together for meetings (plan)
- Writing support plans – setting targets relevant to the child’s development, making sure interventions and strategies are implemented (do)
- Monitoring progress (review)
Settings must also
- Keep all paperwork as part of the child’s records, including written support plans and actions taken, as well as any reports and advice from external professionals
- Refer children who require additional support to appropriate services such as speech and language therapy, community paediatrics, CAMHS and occupational therapy
- Signpost parents to available services
Area SENCo involvement...
- direct work with children, alongside setting staff, to share and model strategies for children presenting with complex needs.
- Assist setting SENCOs in identifying the interventions and supports most appropriate for the individual child
- Support SENCos to understand their responsibilities and how to carry them out
- Observe children who have been referred to the Early Support Team, share observations to give recommendations and contribute to writing achievable targets for children
- Provide information and resources to enable SENCos to complete SEND paperwork such as SEN support plans and Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assessment requests
- Deliver core and bespoke training to a setting/groups of settings as needed
- Signpost settings and parents to available services
- Share examples of good practice
Contact the service for the named Area SENCo for you setting.
Also see: Inclusion and Specialist Support Team
Record Last Updated on: 15/02/2019