Skip to main content

Direct Payments Support Service

Hackney Service Centre,
1 Hillman Street,
E8 1DY
Telephone: 020 8356 2354
Telephone: 020 8 356 4020


The Direct Payments scheme is a UK Government initiative in the field of Social Services that gives users money directly to pay for their own care, rather than the traditional route of a Local Government Authority providing care for them.

If you or someone you care for, get help from social services, you can apply for direct payments. These let you choose and buy the services you need yourself, instead of getting them from your council.

You can use Direct Payments for any community or social-care services you have been assessed as needing. These can be, for example:

  • personal care such as help with dressing, washing or eating meals;
  • practical care such as shopping, collecting benefits or pensions and help preparing meals;
  • help with transport;
  • an opportunity for carers to have a break from their caring role (respite);
  • short-term residential care breaks;
  • opportunities for day time activities; and
  • providing special equipment.

Record Last Updated on: 06/02/2020

Other Details

Who is eligible?

If you are 16 or over (there is no upper age limit) and have been assessed by Community Services as needing a service, you may be able to get a Direct Payment. You must also have either:

  • a physical disability
  • a sensory disability
  • a learning disability
  • HIV or AIDS
  • a mental illness (although there are some exclusions relating to being held under mental health law); or
  • be an older person eligible for services

Direct payments can be made to:

  • disabled people aged 16 or over (with short or long-term needs)
  • disabled parents for children’s services
  • carers aged 16 or over (including people with parental responsibility for a disabled child)
  • elderly people who need community care services

Referral Details

To be accepted onto the scheme you will have to have a community or social-care assessment to identify your needs and prove that you are willing and able to manage a Direct Payment with or without help. This will be carried out by a social worker or care manager.

What to do if you have a complaint

If you have any feedback about the service you received – something you like or are not happy with; then do talk about it with the worker or manager in the service, so that they can look at how they deliver their service.

If you have a situation that you are still not happy about then you can raise it formally as part of the London Borough of Hackney complaints procedure; click here for more information.

How to Get Here

Buses: 30, 38, 48, 55, 106, 236, 242, 253, 254, 276, 277, D6

Train: London Fields, Hackney Central, Hackney Downs

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top