Skip to main content

KIDS London Special Educational Needs Mediation Service

7 - 9 Elliott's Place,
N1 8HX
Telephone: 020 7359 3635
Website: Kids


Two services are being offered by KIDS:

1.       Disagreement Resolution

This aims to help families and providers to reduce disagreements that arise between families and schools, further education providers and early year’s providers around support for children and young people with SEN or a disability. This is open to all, regardless of whether they have an Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan or not.

The service also covers disagreements about the health and social care elements of EHC plans and also disagreements between local authorities and health commissioning bodies during EHC needs assessments or re assessments, the drawing up of EHC plans or reviews of the plans.

2.       Mediation Service

This service is specifically for young people and their families who are unhappy with how their Education, Health and Care Plan has proceeded, and wish to appeal at a Tribunal. Mediation is also available when there is a disagreement about the Health or Care elements of an Education, Health and Care Plan.

If a family wishes to access the service, a trained mediator helps the people involved in the dispute to meet, clarify the issues and work together to reach an acceptable solution with the Local Authority and other bodies involved in developing the plan. The mediator is an independent facilitator who does not take sides, give advice or make judgements. The parent or young person’s use of mediation is voluntary, and the Local Authority gives the details of the service at KIDS to families who have applied for an EHC Plan.

Time / Date Details

Time of day


Session Information

Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Other Details



Who is eligible?

To access the Disagreement Resolution service, you must be:

  • A young people with Special Educational Needs or a Disability from 0-25, or their parent or carer.
  • Receive support from a Hackney school, college or early year provider

To access the Mediation service, you must be:

  • A young people with Special Educational Needs or a Disability from 0-25, or their parent or carer.
  • Receive support from a Hackney school, college or early year provider
  • Have made an application for an Education, Health and Care Plan

Referral required?


Referral Details

Parents may telephone or email KIDS Mediation Service

What to do if you have a complaint

Comments & Complaints Policy

Can parents & young people buy this service as part of their SEND personal budget?


SEND Personal Budget - Notes

This is a free service to parents and young people

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top