Skip to main content

Emergency Duty Social Worker - City and Hackney out of hours crisis service


Who are we? 

City and Hackney's Duty Social Worker is an emergency out of hours social work service to support those living in the City and Hackney if they are in a social care crisis situation. 

The Duty Social Worker can respond during the following times:

  • 24 hour service at weekends
  • 24 hour service on bank holidays
  • out of hours weekday service after 5pm and before 9am

Please note that there is only one officer on out of hours duty at a time.

If the duty social worker cannot answer the call immediately please leave your phone number and other essential details on the answering machine and you will be re-contacted as soon as possible.

Who can the service help?

This service is provided for City of London and Hackney residents with non-medical emergency social care needs, such as: 

  • emergency mental health needs, including assessments
  • welfare needs of vulnerable people in custody
  • emergency needs assessments for people with physical and learning disabilities and older people. 
  • child protection issues, including homeless children and young people within the requirement of the 1989 Children's Act
  • urgent needs assessment
  • information and advice

What will happen when you contact the service?

When you contact the service you can expect:

  • a response to, and action concerning your referral within 2 hours 
  • a professional response to your situation
  • appropriate action

Record Last Updated on: 03/09/2021

Time / Date Details

Time of day

  • Evening

Session Information

Mon to Fri: 5pm - 9am and 24 hours at weekends and Bank Holidays. The service operates from 5pm and only deals with issues that arise after 5pm

Other Details

Who is eligible?

Anyone in the City of London or Hackney who is experiencing a social care related crisis out of normal working hours.

Referral required?


Referral Details

Anyone in City of London or Hackney can self-referral in an emergency. 

Anyone concerned about a resident of City of London or Hackney who is experiencing a crisis can make contact or a referral. 

What to do if you have a complaint

Hackney's social care complaints department can be contacted on 020 8356 5800

If you have a situation that you are still not happy about then you can raise a formal complaint. This means someone who is not part of the service will look at what has happened and what might need to be done to help. 

Information about Hackney complaints procedure is available here.

Your Feedback | The Likes & Dislikes from real parents

Sign in to add feedback

Disclaimer-important information about the Hackney Local Offer

Hackney's Local Offer website is a free and impartial service provided by the London Borough of Hackney in partnership with the NHS, local education, health and community services. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that may be available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

This information does not represent a recommendation or an endorsement of a Service or Provider and neither does the London Borough of Hackney or its partners make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information. Anyone seeking to use or access a service or provision is responsible for undertaking their own checks to determine the suitability and fitness for purpose of that service and provision. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of the Hackney Local Offer.

Some providers will be registered and inspected by external agencies, such as Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission. Anyone working with children and young people will be required to have appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service Check (the replacement for the Criminal Record Check), safeguarding policies and insurance in place, which they should make available to you on request.

Help & Advice

Back to top