Skip to main content

What to do if you need to complain about an Adult social care service

Hackney's adult social care provides a wide range of services for different people and their carers. 

Sometimes things can go wrong. Please tell us if you are unhappy with:

  • our service,
  • the way you have been treated
  • with a particular member of staff

We will decide with you on the best way to resolve your complaint. If another organisation is involved such as the Health Service or a care provider we will work together with them to resolve your complaint.   


How to make a complaint:

  • Talk to your care manager or the manager in the service you are dealing with
  • Alternatively contact our complaints line 


020 8356 6475   

020 8356 4697 

020 8356 4537

(Mon - Fri, 9am-5pm). 

Please write to:

Adult Social Care Complaints, 

Hackney Service Centre,

1 Hillman Street E8 1DY 



What happens when we receive your complaint?

Resolution stage

  • When you raise an issue we will check to see if we will handle it as a complaint.
  • We will acknowledge that we have received your complaint, by email, post or phone.
  • We will assess how long it will take to resolve your complaint - on average 15 working days, but if we have to contact other agencies this may take longer.
  • A senior officer from the service will oversee the investigation and they will focus on resolving the issue(s) you have raised.
  • We will contact you to inform you of the outcome of the investigation and the action taken to resolve your complaint. 

What happens if I am not satisfied with the response?

Review stage 

If you are not satisfied with the response you received at the resolution stage, you can request an independent review which will be carried out by an independent officer. We aim to respond within an average of 20 working days but we will let you know if it will be longer.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the response at the review stage?

If you are still not satisfied with our response to your complaint you can refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) for further investigation.

You will usually need to have completed both stages of the complaints process before the LGO can help.

Local Government Ombudsman,

PO Box 4771,

Coventry CV4 OEH.


LGO advice team please phone: 0300 061 0614 (Mon-Fri, 8.30am-5pm).

If the complaint relates to tenant or landlord functions, you can refer the matter to the Housing Ombudsman Service for further investigation.



If you would like to record a compliment about one of Hackney councils services, please visit feedback .

Under type of feedback select 'compliment' from the drop down.

You can also email

Homecare complaints  

If you get help or care at home funded by the Council you can tel 0800 0731 317 to report:

  • Missed care worker visits or continuous lateness
  • Care workers not staying for the agreed time
  • Not being treated with dignity or respect
  • Any other concerns about the quality of the care you receive

Calls will be dealt with in confidence and staff will not pass your name to your provider without your consent. 

Phone line staff will raise your concerns with the agency and ask them to address any problems.

The phone line is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Voicemail will operate out of hours. Calls are free.

Please note this number is only for complaints about homecare services.   

Last updated 27/01/16

See more related pages on Hackney’s Local Offer…


You said, We did

What is the Local Offer?

Complaints, comments, compliments and feedback

How Hackney consults with parents and carers of children with SEND and young people with SEND.

What to do if you need to complain about Hackney's Local Offer or a service on it

What to do if you need to complain about schools or services run by Hackney Learning Trust

What to do if you want to make a complaint to do with a health service

What to do if you want to make a complaint to do with Children's Social Care -

What is Mediation?

What is a Tribunal?

Back to top