Some children who have SEND may be able to receive free school transport or support to travel to and from their school or college. Your child may be entitled to free transport if they cannot walk to school because of their special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) or mobility problem.
Page last modified 06/08/21
To be eligible for Hackney's SEND Travel Assistance Service one or more of the following situations must apply:
- Your child or young person has SEND (special educational needs and or disability) or mobility problems and there is no school place near their home
- If aged 5 -7 years old they cannot walk to school, even though it is within the normal walking distance (2 miles)
- If aged 8 or over they cannot walk to school, even though it is within the normal walking distance (3 miles)
- They cannot be reasonably expected to walk a particular route even though the school is within the normal walking distances
- They have SEN and attend a school where there are no arrangements for boarding at or near the school
- their religion or belief means that the nearest suitable school is outside reasonable walking distance.
If one or more of the criteria above applies to your child or young person and they need school transport assistance:
- Please complete the correct application form for your situation. These are available from the download section of this page.
- Send the completed form to the correct service choosing from the two teams who deal with requests, contact details are as follows.
Enquiries about "NEW" SEND transport applications should be sent to the
SEND Business Support Team.
Phone: 0208 820 7000 (option 4)
Enquiries about students with existing SEND transport arrangements in place should be sent to Hackney SEND Travel Assistance Service.
Phone 020 8558 4283
Income assessed parents
Children may also be able to get free transport where:
- They are eligible for Free School Meals
- Have parents in receipt of the maximum level of Working Tax Credit,
- There are not three or more suitable nearer school places, and the school place is 2-6 miles from home.
Secondary school children attending a school on grounds of religion or belief may be able to get free transport where the school is more than two miles and less than 15 miles from home, and there is no suitable alternative school nearer home.
Children in primary school may be provided with free travel to school if a parent has a disability that prevents them from taking their child to school.
Contact Hackney Pupil benefits service
Telephone: 020 8820 7000 (option 2)