By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
What is a Short Break?
A "Short Break" is thought of as any daytime social or leisure activity or service that:
- allows a disabled child or young person to have an enjoyable breakaway from their main carer,
- gives their carer a break from their caring responsibilities
They enable disabled children and young people to have the chance to develop new friendships, take part in new experiences and to have fun doing positive activities like sports, music, youth clubs and much more.
"Short Breaks" forms one part of the support offered in Hackney to disabled children, young people and their families.
Hackney council works in partnership with Homerton to deliver "Short Breaks" services and support to disabled children, young people and their families in the borough.
Children who can get Short Breaks must be Hackney residents and receive middle to high rate DLA or PIP.
Find out more: Hackney's Short Breaks Statement
Hackney's Short Breaks team have their own website which explains and lists the services and activities that are available and has details of how to apply: www.shortbreakshackney.com
Page last updated: 29/08/19
Parent / Carers who get an Individual Budget (IB) can receive a new pre-paid card once all satisfactory receipts for your child or young persons last payment have been returned.
Individual Budget (IB) on pre-paid cards help parents and carers pay for their child’s social and leisure activities and record expenditure in a much easier way. This is very similar to using a debit card.
Short Breaks have produced to explains how pre-paid IB cards work.
Short Breaks Hit Squad is part of the Short Breaks service. The HIT (Health Integration Team) Squad is a team of health professionals who work with activity providers to help children access and enjoy their chosen Short Break.
Hit Squad (The Health Integration Team) is made up of:
- a Physiotherapist
- an Occupational Therapist and
- a Clinical Psychologist (with support from Speech and Language Therapy)
What do HIT Squad do?
- We offer training to any leisure providers in Hackney to improve access for all child with additional needs.
- We can provide support to any child known to the Short Break's team.
- We aim to work together to meet the child/young person’s specific physical, behavioural, sensory or communication needs in the leisure activity of their choice.
Further information and referral forms can be found in the download section of this page.
HiT Squad accept referrals from parents, professionals and activity providers.
For individual referrals, children must be known to Short Breaks.
Phone: 020 7014 7025