By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Most young people with special educational needs and or disability will be suitably placed in local mainstream or special schools maintained by the local authority.
Where children or young people have an Education, Health and Care Plan, it is a key aim of Hackney Local Authority that wherever possible, their needs are met locally, thereby enabling the majority to remain with their families.
Local school placements will be investigated as a matter of course and careful consideration given to transport options and efficient use of public money.
Hackney Learning trust - Post 16 education information in Hackney.
New City College - Hackney College is a further education college based in Hackney.
The college has a 6th form centre and offers a range of courses including:
- entry level
- A levels
- BTEC's (level 2 and 3)
- vocational and occupational courses
It also offers an environment where young people and adults can study and socialise together.
Courses have different entry requirements please see the colleges website for specific course information.
Find out more: New City College - Hackney College - course information
Information and courses sepcifically for young people with SEND: https://www.ncclondon.ac.uk/send
Bsix offers a range of courses at all levels for pupils aged 16-18 years with a flexible and varied curriculum which offers a study programme tailored to strengths, needs and ambitions.
Find out more: Bsix course information
Stormont House is a mixed day community special school for up to 100 pupils aged 11-16 who have complex and inter-related social and emotional, social communication or mental health needs. They currently have a year twelve option with students linking in to other appropriate providers for year 13 and beyond.
Ickburgh School mixed community special school for pupils with severe or profound and multiple learning difficulties aged under 19 years of age.
Hackney has also developed it's supported internship offer. Organisations working with young people in Hackney to offer these training options include:
- Tower Project - Hackney Supported Internship Offer
- Ellingham - Hackney Supported Internships
- Steps into work - Hackney Supported Internships with GLL leisure centres
- New for 2018 Project Search - Hackney (contact Hackney Supported Employment Service 137-139 Bowling Green Walk, Corner of Pitfield Street, Hackney, N1 6AL, Phone: 020 8356 5700)
Page last updated: 03/12/18
A list of independent schools for pupils with special educational needs, including those approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act is maintained by the
Find out more: Independent special schools and colleges
You can find information about colleges in other boroughs via each local authorities Local Offer website...
- Newham SEND Local Offer website
- Islington SEND Local Offer website
- Harringey SEND Local Offer website
- Tower Hamlets SEND Local Offer website
- City of London SEND Local Offer website
Other out of borough colleges (not an exhaustive list)
- Westminster College
- Epping Forest College
- Barnet Southgate College of Further Education
- Harrow College
- New City College - Redbridge College
- New City College - Tower Hamlets College
- City and Islington College (CandI)
- Waltham Forest College
- Westminster Kingsway College
- College of Haringey and North East London (CONEL)