Skip to main content

Post 16 funding information

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA):

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability such as a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance. They help you pay the extra costs you may have because of a disability. You do not have to repaid this money because it is not a loan.

How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.

DSAs can help pay for:

  • specialist equipment, eg a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability-related costs of studying

You could get a new computer if you don’t already have one, or your current one needs to be upgraded to be able to help you do the course work.

DSAs don’t cover the disability-related costs you’d have if you weren’t attending a course, or costs that any student might have.

To find out more about DSA click here Disabled Students Allowance

Other related pages on Hackney's Local Offer...

Young people's resource and news page

Preparing for adulthood - the five planning pathways for a full life

Preparing for adulthood- Pathways to being employed and having paid work

Preparing for Adulthood - Independence & Independent living

Preparing for Adulthood - Health and well being Pathways

Support for young people with SEND going to college, sixth form or further education

Post 16 further education, training and study options explained

Post 16 Further Education and training providers

Back to top