Supporting parents and carers of Young people with autism - Topic information sessions
A series of groups for parents of young people with high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
The sessions are facilitated by Psychology and Occupational Therapy with Guest Speakers from Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology and Hackney specific support but allow a space for parents to share experiences, ideas and concerns regarding each topic.
WHEN: First Friday of the Month
TIME: 9.30am to 11.30am
WHERE: City and Hackney CAMHS, 15 Homerton Row, E9 6ED
- Friday 5th January - Supporting Social Skills and Peer Relationships
- Friday 2nd February - Sensory and emotional regulation in ASD
- Friday 2rd March - Talking about the ASD Diagnosis with your Child
- Friday 6th April - Using social stories to support your child
- Friday 4th May - Supporting Sibling Relationships in the context of ASD
- Friday 1st June - Managing Puberty and Social Functioning
- Friday 6th July - Parenting Stress: A Mindfulness Approach
- Friday 3rd August - Developing Independence skills
- Friday 7th September - Managing Arguments and Miscommunications
- Friday 5th October - Managing School and ASD
- Friday 2nd November - Anxiety and Anger Management
- Friday 7th December - Dealing with demands
- Dr Laura Roughan, Clinical Psychologist - 0203 222 5600
- Heather Scott, Occupational Therapist Hackney ARK - 0207 0147025
Flyer available from the download section of this page.
Autism Parents Coffee Morning
This is a group for parents who have children with Autism / Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and who have been known to Hackney Ark currently or in the past.
- Want to meet other parents of children with ASD?
- Want to share your experiences with other parents and hear theirs?
- Want to get ideas for how to help your child?
CAMHS run Autism Parents Coffee Morning sessions every month.
As well as being able to meet other parents there is an opportunity to meet with an Occupational Therapist and a Clinical Psychologist individually for 20 minutes to discuss anything specific that’s on your mind about your child.
Venue: Hackney Ark, Resource Centre
Time: 10am to 12pm
- Wednesday 14th March
- Wednesday 18th April
- Wednesday 16th May
- Wednesday 13th June
- Wednesday 11th July
Further dates to be confirmed
This group is for parents who have children with Autism / Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and who have been known to Hackney Ark currently or in the past.
Unfortunately we cannot provide a crèche and it is not suitable to bring children to this group.
Flyer available from the download section of this page.
To find out more contact CAMHS Disability: 0207 014 7071
Call Lizzie Hampson on 0207 014 7071 to find out more
CAMHS Cafe is an emotional support group for parents and carers of children with special needs who do not have autism but are known to CAMHS.
At each session there will be a chance to think about staregies to use at home. A Play Specialist will also be available to support play development and offer activities for the Toy Library for the children.
NOTE: THIS GROUP IS FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE WITH A LEARNING DISABILITY.
IF YOU HAVE A CHILD OR YOUNG PERSON WHO IS AUTISTIC PLEASE SEE INFORMATION ON AUTISM SPECIFIC GROUPS FOR PARENTS AND CARERS ABOVE.
No creche is avaialble but children are welcome to join their parents for these informal meetings.
CAMHS Cafe is held on the last Monday of the month.
- 29th January
- 26th February
- 26th March
- 30th April
Please call the CAMHS for find out more: 020 7014 7071
Speech and Language Theraphy run Makaton classess for parents/carers and others...
What is Makaton?
Makaton is a language programme based on a selected list of everyday words, used with children, young people and adults around the world.
Makaton uses speech, signing and symbols to support the development of communication and language skills.
Where can you learn Makaton?
Parent Makaton training courses are run 3 times a year, for parents who have a child known to the Speech and Language Therapy service who would benefit.
The courses are accredited by the Makaton Charity and parents who complete the course will receive course books and a certificate.
Find out more: Children's Speech and Language Therapy - Makaton
Educational Psychology and support for your child:
If your child is having difficulties at school, first talk to your child’s teacher or headteacher. The process for schools to follow for pupils with SEND is outlined in the SEND code of practice 2014/15
Teachers, with your help and the help of your child, will draw up a plan of action and set reviews of your child’s progress. If after some time your child does not make progress despite help, the school may ask SEND service for specialist advice to suggest other ways of helping. The educational psychology service may be asked to provide advice at this stage.
Parents cannot refer their children directly to this service but we do offer open access advice sessions. Parent advice sessions are run by individual Education Psychologists on a rota basis.
Who can attend?
- Parents and carers of children and young people who live in Hackney.
- Young people who live in Hackney.
- Social workers with parental responsibility and
- Early Years practitioners, provided parental permission has been given.
Where: Hackney Learning Trust
When: Wednesdays during term time between 2pm and 4p
What happens at the sessions:
- Each advice appointment lasts for no more than half an hour.
- No assessments are carried out with children and young people.
Good to know:
Parents are encouraged to ring and make an appointment but may still drop-in on
the day if an appointment is available and they are prepared to wait.
Find out more: Hackney Learning trust Educational Psychology Service – Parents Advice Session
Find out more: Hackney Learning Trust Educational Psychology Service
The Sensory Team Thurday drop in session
The Sensory Team is based within Hackney’s Adult Social Care Services and is for people who are:
- visually impaired
- deaf or hard of hearing
- both of the above
The service aims to give practical information and advice about the registration process and about help, support or services available locally and nationally.
Sensory Team drop-in clinic
Time: Thursdays 10am – 12noon
Venue: Hackney Service Centre, 1 Hillman Street, Hackney, E8 1DY
Please ask at reception for room G.45