By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Who we are:
City & Hackney Carers Centre is a service is for unpaid carers (a person looking after a child or adult who is ill, disabled, has a mental illness or has substance misuse issues).
The person being cared for must live in Hackney or the City of London.
What we do:
- Register you as a parent carer
- Give you a carers cards (cards which give discounts for shops and leisure centres for carers).
- Send you a quarterly newsletter
- Give you to an invitation to carers rights days & carers conference events,
- Refer you to other services with the Carers are the Bedrock partnership (e.g. the City & Hackney Carers Centre)
Find out more: Hackney Carers Coordination Service
The City & Hackney Carer's Centre provides:
- Information & Advice on Benefits and Carers Rights
- Form filling including DLA, PIP, ESA and Housing forms
- Carers needs assessments for carers of people of 18 (assessments for carers with children under 18 are provided by FAST - First Access Screening Team )
- Support groups
- Training and Courses e.g. First Aid or Moving and Handling courses
The Carer's Centre hosts a wide range of sessions to support the following carers:
- Valuing Carers Support Group (a group for all carers)
- Young Adults Carers Workshops
- Male Carers Support Group
- LGBT Carers Support Group
- Mental Health Carers Support Group
- Turkish & Kurdish Speaking Carers Support Group
- Somali Women’s Support Group
The carer and cared for have to be 18 or over for full access to all services, however some services (counselling, listen ear sessions, and benefits advice) are open to all parent carers no matter what the age of their child, and young adult carer events are open to parent carers who are themselves aged 14 -25.
The service works in partnership with Hackney Council and other local and voluntary groups.
The carers centre also support secondary carers, such as siblings.
Find out more: Hackney's carer's card and register
Advocacy services are now provided by: The Advocacy Project
Record Last Updated on: 12/10/2018