By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Who we are:
The Hackney SEND Information, Advice and Guidance Service (SENDIAGS) is an arm's length service providing impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and young people and children with SEND
We provide information and advice on:
- legislation on SEND - what does the law say ?
- SEND local policy and practice - what actually happens in Hackney ?
- the Local Offer - what services are available locally ?
- personalisation and personal budgets - how are services tailored to individual needs ?
- options and routes to resolve a disagreement or make a complaint, including mediation - what happens when there is a problem ?
- the Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment - what does this mean?
- the process of developing an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) - how do we have a voice ?
What we do:
- help you think about your contribution for any assessment
- inform you of various routes of support including one of Hackney's Independent Supporters if you are going through an EHC needs assessment or transfer review (from statement or LDA to EHCP)
- help you prepare for a meeting and have an effective say in any discussions
- signpost you to relevant local and national sources of information, advice and support
- attend a meeting when appropriate
- meet with parent support groups and forums
- offer a range of training and events which are focused on SEND related topics
SENDIAGS telephone helpline:
Helpline hours: 10am-3pm (Monday –Thursday) and 10am – 1pm (Friday)
Please note: There is a five working day response time to all calls and enquiries.
Our information for young people:
SENDIAGS has produced the following guides that explain some of the new ways that services work to support young people.
You can find the guides listed below where the links will open in the same window or you can see them in the download section of this page.
Young people with SEND can now also access 2 new websites made just for them:
Hackney Independent Support:
Hackney SENDIAGS is one of the boroughs two providers of Independent Support.
For more information on this service see this link...
Independent Support is also available from KIDS in Hackney
see this link...
Drop in sessions:
Please see below and the download section of this page for drop in session flyers with dates of our sessions.
Knowledge is Power - Parent / carer SEND information sessions
These information sessions provide useful advice and insights into national and local processes.
Please see below and the download section of this page for the session information and timetables of these sessions.
Information on our service sessions and other sessions is also available on the What's On? page of Hackney's Local Offer website.
Other useful information:
The Department for Education and the Council for Disabled Children have produced these short films to help explain SEND processes to parents and young people.
Record Last Updated on: 21/03/2018