By Post FIS, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
Who we are:
Educational Psychologists (also called EPs or Ed Psychs) have professional qualifications in psychology and educational psychology – the study of how children develop, learn and behave.
To find out more about this service read on or click the image below...
What we do:
Educational Psychologists work collaboratively with school staff, parents and children themselves to help ensure that young people with additional educational needs who are having difficulties at school receive the right sort of help.They also help to ensure that very young children, who may have additional educational needs and require extra help, get the support they need either before or when they start school.
Each of the maintained schools in Hackney has an allocated EP who visits regularly to help with strategic planning.
Many of Hackney’s maintained schools also buy in additional EP time. How this time is used is often agreed during termly multi-agency planning meetings.
Work in schools: if a child is having difficulty at school and, despite help, does not make progress the school may, with parents’ permission, ask an educational psychologist to suggest ways of helping.
The educational psychologist (EP) may then:
- work with key members of staff in the school or setting
- observe a child and/or work with a child individually
or with parental permission
- contact other professionals who know the child well
EPs will always involve parents/carers in sharing ideas and planning programmes.
They may suggest:
- ways parents can help their child at home
- ways the child’s school, teachers or key worker can help
- refer to another agency for further advice
- recommend the school or nursery provides extra support
However, involvement with individual children / students is dependent on the school buying support from the Educational Psychology Service (EPS).
Educational Psychology Parent Advice Sessions
A Parent Advice Service is run by the EPS independently of its work in schools. This service is open to:
- all children and families living in Hackney including those children not yet in school
- those out of school
- those children who live in Hackney and attend school in other boroughs
The Parent Advice Service is held at:
Hackney Learning Trust,
1 Reading Lane,
Time: 2pm - 4pm every Wednesday, during term times only.
The EPS advise parents to phone in advance to book a 30 minute appointment slot as the service has proven very popular.
Appointments are not guaranteed without an advanced booking.
Bookings can be made on: 020 8820 7519